Do you love lamb??
OMG!! Me tooooooooooooooooo!!!!
If you’ve never tried lamb, I highly encourage you to get your feet wet with this recipe!
For one thing, this recipe is SUPER quick and easy and doesn’t require any expensive ingredients (well, except for the lamb). So you won’t have a ton to lose if you don’t turn out to be a lamb lover.
If you’re new to lamb, I hope you’ll be excited by the punch of flavor that it adds to a dish compared to ground beef! Yummmmmy town!!!
It does cost quite a bit more than ground beef ($2-$3 more per pound usually), buuuuuuuuuuuuut…it’s such a unique flavor that we LOVE adding it to our dinner menu rotation from time to time.
(Pro Shopping Tip: At our regular grocery store here, ground lamb usually costs $7.99/lb…but…if you live near a grocery chain called Grocery Outlet, they often have it there for just $5.99/lb in our neck of the woods! Does the grocery chain Aldi still exist in places? If so, that may be another good place to check for better pricing.)
Anywhoooo…the original recipe I found that inspired this one actually involved raw shelled pistachios and freshly chopped mint for garnish. That recipe also instructed you to spread yogurt on your plate and then scoop the lamb and rice dish on top of that.
While all of that sure sounded delightful enough, I didn’t have any of those things on hand (and I love lamb on its own)…so I kept things basic.
Apparently, it was still delicious because… well… Chad and I gobbled up the entire batch!
(Hey, what happens at the dinner table, stays at the dinner table. Right?!?!?!)
Lamb & Rice Recipe
Serves 4 (but 2 of us ate it all! Whoops!)
- 1 lb ground lamb
- 1 medium onion, diced (optional)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 2 cups water
- In a large skillet (that has a lid), brown the lamb (and the diced onion if using).
- Drain excess grease.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Stir in uncooked rice and the water.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover. Simmer over Low heat for 15-20 minutes, until rice reaches desired tenderness and all of the water is absorbed.
- Serve with veggies of your choice. We enjoy fresh cucumber slices or Baked Cabbage.
- Scarf it down! Mmmmmmm!!! And be sure to check out our RECIPES PAGE for more great recipes!!!!